Everyone wants to do their part in helping our environment. Recycling is a big part of that effort. But how do you recycle foam pool noodles?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See the full disclosure here.
Why Recycle Foam Pool Noodles?
What ARE pool noodles?
Pool noodles are those fun tubes your kids use to have fun in the water, you use as an exercise aid, or you see on camper slides so people don’t hit their heads.
So What’s the Problem?
The problem is, pool noodles eventually wear out and you have to find a way to dispose of them while protecting the environment.
Some materials are easily recycled and some take effort. Others can’t be traditionally recycled at all, including pool noodles.
Pool noodles are made from polyethylene foam which is difficult to recycle. According to GreenMax INTCO Recycling, it is possible to recycle this product, but it’s not widely done.
Most local recycling facilities are not equipped to handle polyethylene foam pool noodles so it’s not a normally an available offering.
What NOT to do
SO. You don’t just toss them overboard into the lake, you don’t put them into the recycle bin (unless your area specifically says they will dispose of your noodles for you.)
You don’t want to burn them, as they may release toxic fumes into the air.
So How Do You Recycle Pool Noodles?
Here are some ways to recycle foam pool noodles.
- If your pool noodles are still usable and you are done with them, consider donating them or giving them to a friend or neighbor.
- Cut them into small pieces and put them in the regular garbage. Just remember, it will be forever – and maybe never – before they actually disintegrate into nothing.
We agree that pool noodles are difficult to recycle, right? Why not re-purpose them if possible?
Here are some ways to re-purpose pool noodles.
- Use your pool noodles for crafting as we did with these Pool Noodle Craft Stamps.
- Make fun toys like these Pool Noodle Boats.
- If the noodles are too raggedy to use for a project, cut them into small pieces, and use them as filler in the bottom of your flower pot.
- Help purses or boots keep their shape by putting pool noodle pieces inside.
- Put them on your garage wall so you don’t bump your car door.
- Make swords or sabers and let the kids play “Star Wars”.
What will YOU do?
Enjoy your pool noodles.
When they are worn out, keep in mind the need to re-purpose them instead of throwing them out, if possible.
Find a way to re-purpose your pool noodles. This site is growing and adding new ideas every day.
What have you done to re-purpose your noodles?
If you find a way to recycle or repurpose your pool noodles, show us a photo on Instagram with #diynoodles or share your photo on our Facebook page.