Make this cute 4th of July rocket centerpiece for your table. Whether it’s a party or just the family, add a little festive take-off to your holiday with these patriotic rocket pool noodles.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See the full disclosure here.
Patriotic 4th of July Rocket Centerpiece
(made from pool noodles!!)
If you’re having a party this 4th of July, it won’t be complete without some patriotic decorations.
And if you’re looking for a way to entertain the kiddos, having them make a patriotic craft is great fun.
Combining the two things is even smarter!
Add a festive touch to your 4th of July table with these crafty rockets made from pool noodles. And have the kids help!
They’re fun and easy to make.
The kids will have a “blast-off” helping you with these. (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself…)
How to Make a Pool Noodle Rocket Centerpiece
First, cut the pool noodles into sections.
How to Cut Pool Noodles should help you with this part.
Then, you can cover the pool noodles with ribbon or colored/decorative duct tape.
If you’re using red, white, or blue pool noodles, they’d probably be fine without any covering.
Next, for the tops, use a piece of foam paper.
Cut it into a circle, cut out a triangle, pull it together to make a perfect top.
Here are some instructions for making a cone if you don’t know how to make one.
Finally, add a tail using a decorative pick, garland, or make a ribbon tail with thin red, white and blue ribbons.
There are a lot of variations to this craft, so make it your own.
Use supplies you already have on hand to save a little dough and make use of scraps you might have from previous projects.
These instructions are for the ones we made.
Yours can vary from this depending upon your preferences and the materials you have available.
- Pool Noodles, red and/or blue
- Star Confetti
- Foam paper, blue and/or red
- Ribbon, blue and/or white
- Patriotic Garland - We used one with stars.
- 4 Bamboo skewers
- Container - We used a glass jar.
- Decide on how many rockets you need. We used 4 in our centerpiece.
- Cut a pool noodle into pieces. We used 1 8-inch piece, 2 6-inch pieces, and 1 2.5 inch piece.
- To make the body: If you're using pool noodles that aren't the right colors, cover the noodles with red, white, or blue ribbon or construction paper.
- Glue confetti stars or other decorations on to the body of the rocket.
- To make the top: Cut a 6" circle from a piece of foam. Use a roll of masking tape, cup, or jar lid as a guide. Lightly draw around the lid to make your circle. Make a cut from the edge to the center, move over about an inch, and cut from the edge to the center again. Remove the triangle piece and fold to make a hat shape.
- I know my tops are yellow in the photos, but I used blue for the tops to these rockets... 🙂
- Put it together: Attach the top to the body using glue or mod podge.
- To make the tail: Use ribbon or use a decorative pick like this one.
- To display: Attach a sturdy stick to the bottom of the rocket by inserting it into the pool noodle. A skewer works great because it's already pointed on one end and inserts easily.
- Add beans or white sand to your container - a glass jar, metal bucket, or whatever you have to use for display.
- Put your rockets into the container
- There you have it - a beautiful, patriotic centerpiece for your table.
Use what you have on hand. You can't go wrong. Add a little of this and that to make your own version of this pool noodle craft for the 4th of July or other patriotic events.
Are you ready?
So, what are you thinking? Are you going to try this pool noodle rocket centerpiece project? It’s a really easy project and the kids will love it!
We’d love to see what you’ve made…
If you find a way to recycle or repurpose your pool noodles, show us a photo on Instagram with #diynoodles or share your photo on our Facebook page.